Howl's magic

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 14:48:57 EDT 2000

http://www.foxnews.com/science/052200/times_archimedes.sml
> > Yeah, Syracuse - that was it - that was the island.

At first I thought you meant Syracuse, NY, and I was going "Huh?"!  Nifty
article; I was surprised to read the following:

from: http://www.foxnews.com/science/052200/times_archimedes.sml :
"However, curators at the British Museum recently relabeled a glass fragment
excavated from the ancient Assyrian city of Kalhu after realizing that what
they had considered to be a bauble was likely to be a finely ground lens for
correcting short sight. It was made around 800BC, about 600 years before
Archimedes was born."

I had no idea Archimedes was so  - so bloodthirsty either.  Grappling hooks
to shake sailors out of ships??

> > The appliances you mentioned are scaring me.

<chuckle> yes, we lead lives of not-very-quiet desperation here.

> >  And while we are at it,
> >  percolators are really all for show, aren't they? Go ahead, I can take
it.

Yes.  Sorry.
<g>
But if it's any consolation, they do satisfy man's deep-rooted and abiding
need for cool gadgets.  In fact wasn't there a study showing an exponential
link between the CQ* of percolators (those glass Italian ones that sit on the
stovetop and look like they might go from 0-70 mph in 3 seconds) and the
amount of coffee consumed??

*Coolness Quotient

> > What was that Jones story about the robot?  Was it named No one?  And the
> > kitchen appliances bore a grudge?

Eeek.  Yes, I love that story; the way he (it?) finds out all the
Miscellaneous Wisdom is true.  And Aut the car.  Funny!

Max