dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #201

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 31 09:59:36 EDT 2000

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> I've been gone for a couple of weeks - I was in the U.S., attending
> a convention marking the Centennial of the publication of "The
> Wizard of Oz". It was much fun, and worth the long trip. I
> over-participated as usual. At one lecture I was extremely
> embarassed to discover that the nice lady sitting quietly next to me
> and nodding her head at my comments was Alison Lurie.

Let me be the first to say, "Who?"

> 13-year old Jenny, a huge, gorgeous, half Angora "blue-cream"
> tomcat, was named after "Jennyanydots" of T.S.Elliot fame.
> Obviously, we didn't know he was a boy at the time

LOL.

I imagine everyone on the list has already heard the joke about the
family who owned a cat called "Ben Hur"?

> 11-year old Liki was named "Lee" by her mother's owners before she
> came to live with us. They were great Kung-Fu fans: the other two
> kittens in her litter were named "Bruce" and "Brandon". Lee was too
> short, so it kind of got expanded into the nonsense Liki.

A novel I read once has a character whose pet dog is named Leakey:
partly in honour of the famous anthropologist, and partly because he's
not properly house-trained yet...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."