Humor

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Jul 27 15:44:59 EDT 2000

>I've been forcing myself through 17th century Spanish lit all month and I
>could really use a good laugh.  I know humor is very subjective, but does
>anyone have any suggestions for a few good books (any genre0 that you
>think are really funny?
>Thanks

I'd third (or was that fourth?) the G Heyer - but only some of them are
funny.  The Grand Sophy would be my top pick for that.  How about
Bellwether or To Say Nothing of the Dog (both by Connie Willis)?  TSNotD
inspired both Becca and me to read Three Men in a Boat, which we also
loved.

Good Omens I'd also second, (as would Becca, were she here - she almost
knows it off by heart), although neither of us is a real Pratchet fan.
Helen Cresswell's Bagthorpe books are great.

Oh, and lastly, Anne of Green Gables.  It has its smaltzy bits, but is also
wonderfully funny in parts, and is a real comfort read for me.

Hallie