Humor

Alex alex.mb at zoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 27 10:55:46 EDT 2000

I still find P G Wodehouse's Psmith books very funny and I think Georgette
Heyer is too. I tend to read GH when I'm ill or overtired. I also find Jane
Austen amusing though I realise it's not a  view shared by all. Anne Fine's
books for children are hilarious though her adult ones are quite disturbing
and one of the funniest books for children that I have ever read is Louise
Fitzhugh's 'Nobody's Family Is Going to Change'. I loved Roy Hattersley's
'Buster's Diary' (For those of you not in the UK, Roy Hattersley is a
politician who adopted a rescue dog which proceeded to get into lots of
trouble. The book is written from the dog's perspective and is very funny
both about how a dog might feel about his life and also in that RH seems to
view his own life in quite an ironical way.

I don't know what anyone else thinks about books that are placed in the
'humour' section of a shop, but I almost invariably shudder as I read them.

Alex