"Time Lady, my wife"

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Thu Jul 27 05:22:34 EDT 2000

Errrm... This is a sort of ritualistic greeting? Thousands of years ago they
were very formal? It's a way of introducing the others to her?? He's
forgotten her name??? (It *is* just a way of avoiding having two Vivians
about?) I'd never noticed this, actually, and I only reread this about a
month ago. I guess it didn't come across as that strange to me. Maybe it's
something to do with how important they are- like, erm, a king saying "will
the Queen walk with me?"
Jennifer

> It took me a little while to come to this conclusion, but I believe one
> is not supposed to agree with Faber John's and the Time Lady's reasons
> for exiling Vivian.
and my mother's thought about the two of them, which is not really a
response, but.... Why does Faber John call her "Time Lady, my wife"? I do
realize that the only other name we know she could be called would be
Vivian, which would make things highly confusing, but really. If you
haven't seen your wife for, what, millenia? even if you had a fight, you
wouldn't keep calling her by what is sort of a title.