ToTC and tartle

Jennifer Forsyth jforsyth at equinox.unr.edu
Wed Jul 26 22:36:04 EDT 2000

I can go longer without mentioning that in my *very* special copy of ToTC, the book
itself exemplifies the circular nature of time. Almost all of the way through the
book, it loops back to page 1 and finishes on page 26. As pleasing as it is to my
sense of irony, it leaves something to be desired as a fulfilling reading
experience.

In other news, I had a message earlier I *thought* was from someone in the DWJ
group because it seemed so interesting. It turned out to be from _A Common Reader_,
a book publisher, so forgive me if this sounds like an advertisement for them, but
I thought others might enjoy hearing the blurb:

***
Do you ever find yourself thinking "there should be a word for that" after
finishing a long-winded description? Now that Howard Rheingold's "They Have
a Word for It" has come back into print, you can summon the clever
resources of unfamiliar tongues. Here's a sampling of words from foreign
languages that have no exact equivalent in ours:

esprit de l'escalier (French) - clever remark that comes to mind when it is
too late to utter it

hakamoroo (Easter Island) - the act of keeping a borrowed object until the
owner has to ask for it back

tartle (Scotch) - the act of hesitation when you can't remember someone's name

Rheingold discusses each word in turn, illustrating how they reflect -- and
in part create -- different modes of thought, feeling, and value.
***

I was about to bring up Suzette Haden Elgin's _Native Tongue_ series in response (I
remember others mentioning Elgin before as well) (in general I prefer her Ozark
trilogy) when I realized 'Do you ever find yourself thinking "there should be a
word for that" after finishing a long-winded description?"' wasn't the start of a
new thread... but it could be...

Jennifer Forsyth

P.S. I particularly like "tartle."