Fire and Hemlock - a couple more things...

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Wed Jul 26 14:07:09 EDT 2000

Hallie wrote:
'Elise and Tarja have already explained, but I have to add that it's in
Keats's "Ode to a Nightingale" also.  I'm quoting it, as having looked it
up, and realized that the only thing I remembered from school was the
"hemlock" bit, I had a "Hey! That's appropriate!" reaction.

"My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains,
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk:"

Bet it'll turn out now that Elise _meant_ us to get the allusion!'

Nope! But that's really weird, isn't it?  I never thought about the hemlock
in the title and in the picture having any significance.  Do you think it
does?

>Synchronicity at work, I guess, but [twilight zone music] *weird*.
>Fortunately, I don't play an instrument, or I'd be expecting bad things!

':-)  It's that kind of book!  And again synchronistically I guess, I had
_just_ sent off a letter offering to get F&H for someone in another country
when I read your post.  Struck me as slightly weird at the time.'

It really is that kind of book, isn't it? Spoooky

Elise