SF books (was: Re: Many subjects (very long) )

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 26 10:00:12 EDT 2000

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Amaya Booker wrote:

> > I can only remember having read _The Triffids_ and "Compassion
> > Circuit". But I keep *intending* to read more.

> Does anyone remember the old BBC television series of his book
> Chocky?

Thanks for reminding me. I've read _Chocky_ as well, but not seen the
TV series except in the dim recesses of childhood.

> I'd have thought The Day of the Triffids and the Midwich Cuckoos
> would be the books for which you know him best, having made such a
> hit in Hollywood.

Hah. Yes. Have they ever made a film version of Day of the Triffids
that was anything like the book? :)

> I find it upsetting that his era of science fiction had such great
> ideas and today so many writers just spurn out more clones of the
> same stuff. (Our delightful DWJ exempt from such calls of course )

I have to wonder, is "Nobody seems to write anything new anymore" one
of those complaints that, like "Kids these days are a bunch of
hooligans", echoes down the ages; or is the world really beginning to
run out of ideas?

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."