SF books (was: Re: Many subjects (very long) )

Wed Jul 26 02:26:44 EDT 2000

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:14:02 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> p.s. Anyone else read John Wyndham?  _The Kraken Wakes_ totally
>> creeped me out.
>
>I've read some of John Wyndham's stuff, but not _The Kraken Wakes_.

It's also titled _Out of the Deeps_ or something similar.  A lot of his
books were retitled for US publication.  Like _The Chrysalids_ is called
_Re-Birth_ in the US edition.  The original titles are so interesting, I
wonder why the changes were made....

>....actually, having reviewed my mental list and turfed out a few books
>that were really by John Christopher, I can only remember having read
>_The Triffids_ and "Compassion Circuit". But I keep *intending* to
>read more.

I like some of his books a lot.  _Stowaway to Mars_ (_Planet Plane_) didn't
hold up well scientifically or sociologically, but if you read it as
commenting on the changes occurring during the time it was written (1930s)
it's very interesting.

Melissa Proffitt