Fire and Hemlock (i.e. Tam Lin)/reprints

Rowena Macrae-Gibson rowena.macrae-gibson at brunel.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 07:07:30 EDT 2000

For those of you who want to compare different versions of Tam Lin, there's
a good page at http://www.tam-lin.org/ that lists various versions and has
lots of interesting info.

Neil has asked which book he should read next. I'd say read *anything* by
DWJ that you can lay your hands on! (But try and get the original of Ogre,
as the reprint was edited; reprints of Cart & Cwidder** are also edited,
much to my great annoyance, as my old paperback copy is falling apart.)

However, I'm also tempted to say, well just reread Fire & Hemlock. DWJ
books just demand to be read and re-read. I remember one time a couple of
years ago that I reread F&H (again!) 3 times in quick succession, starting
at the beginning again as soon as I'd finished it (starting to become
obsessive there!). It's amazing that I still find new things her books,
even after multiple readings, and even with books that I first read over 20
years ago and must have read a hundred times!

** The reprint of C&C that was issued when Crown of Dalemark was
first released is definately edited. I've only had a quick look at the new
reprint (the Oxford children's classics one), but my impression was that
this is also edited. What a shame. But it seems that books have to be
squeezed into series these days.

Rowena