Many subjects (very long)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 05:32:20 EDT 2000

>We are at the height of tourist season in D.C. and I was just feeling
particularly irritated about it.  There is a sort of universally unspoken
rule of commuter metro that one stands on the right of the escalator and
walks on the left.  The tourists...the tourists! They stand on the left.
They stand on the right. The stand in front of the escalator while they
think about riding it.  They stand right in front of the top of the
escalator impeding absolutely everyone behind them as they ever so slowly
look around or even consult maps. >

Oh yes. Where I work is right next to the Natural History Museum, the
Science Museum and the Victoria and Albert, and we open and shut at about
the same time as them. The only good thing is the crowd of people sort of
soaks up the sound of the buskers. (Annoyingly, by the time I've walked
along to the V&A eating my lunch, and found my way to the gallery I'm
interested in, I've only got about 5 minutes before it's time to get back.
Usually I read instead... I've just come across David Weber, who writes
space wars that I like a lot- anyone else into sci-fi as well as fantasy?
Elizabeth Moon and CJ Cherryh are good but any other recommendations?)

>Sometimes as I move slowly among a huge herd of
commuters/tourists/fellowhumans, I get the urge to 'moo' or 'baa.'  To 'baa'
would be a more direct allusion to Kierkegaard, but one can't count on
everyone knowing that layer, or assuming I do. And I have practiced the
'moo' on many a long car trip through the countryside.
Elise >

lol! To be honest my urges are more along the lines of hollow groans, but
cities do tend to try and make you act sheeplike.
Jennifer