dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #197

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 19:52:47 EDT 2000

Date sent:      	Mon, 24 Jul 2000 02:07:30 -0400
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #197
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net

Robert asked,
> Just out of interest, have you ever read any John Varley??
> I seem to recall a Cirocco Jones in Titan/Wizard/Demon series...It's not
> a common name at all. If not, why Cirocco?

I guess you missed the first post on this topic. Yes she was called
after that Cirocco (pronounced Shurocco), she suited the meaning
too, a hot desert wind, as she was tortie and white with flaming
orange patches. I was very into Varley at the time. I fell out with
him after reading the story "Press Enter". Unfortunately what I
found to dislike in that story (a certain emotional manipulativeness)
seemed to pervade the rest of the work too and I haven't really
enjoyed his work since. Still with the exception of Steel beach,
which I hated, I 've still got all the books so I may have another look
sometime.
                                           Ven.