Fire and Hemlock - a couple more things...

Neil Ward neilward at dircon.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 16:25:57 EDT 2000

(1)

Elise said:

<<I think I am jealous that I have already read it!  If only I could sip the
waters of Lethe and wake up to a pile of the complete works of dwj right
next to the bed.>>

Can you explain 'waters of Lethe'?  I recently finished Stephen Baxter's
existing Xeelee novels, with "Ring", and in that book he uses 'Lethe' and
'Lethe's waters' as swearwords.  I thought he made it up!

(2)

Okay, this is something spooky about "Fire & Hemlock"; at least, I think it is.

I agreed recently to send a Frenchwoman a UK copy of "Harry Potter and The
Goblet of Fire" in exchange for a French copy of the first Harry Potter
book.  The new book isn't available in France yet, and I wanted to help her
out.  Anyway, she e-mailed me today with her address, and I discovered that
her surname is Leroy [For those of you scratching your heads, the name Leroy
is very significant in "Fire & Hemlock"].

Synchronicity at work, I guess, but [twilight zone music] *weird*.
Fortunately, I don't play an instrument, or I'd be expecting bad things!

Neil