Durmstrang

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Mon Jul 24 03:46:49 EDT 2000

On 24 Jul, Tanaqui wrote:
> + Bettina / liril at gmx.net :
> +
> + >Or is there a
> + >joke to Durmstrang I didn't get?
>
> And JOdel replied before I could that it seems to be a reference to
> "Sturm und Drang", with all those dark hints about the Dark Arts, bad weather
> and long nights. That's what I meant about switching vowels for "Durmstrang".

Well, technically, that's not switching vowels (which got me
Darmstrung), and that's why I didn't get it. It's switching letters /
consonants / syllables...

And I think the original Gothic movement was a lot earlier (the people
that built Gothic churches), and the Gothic movement that has to do
with the Gothic novel is an English phenomenon[1] (I think). Sturm und
Drang is what Goethe and Schiller wrote when they were young. But they
were all into Romanticism...

[1] I think it was only called Gothic by Goths in this century ;)

Britta, hoping to remember those German lessons correctly

--
  /"\  . . . . . . . . . . . . . britta at linuxchix.org . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign     "Wer mit der Speckseite nach der Wurst wirft,