Sturmdrang

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Mon Jul 24 07:57:10 EDT 2000

> And JOdel replied before I could that it seems to be a reference to
> "Sturm und Drang", with all those dark hints about the Dark Arts, bad weather
> and long nights. That's what I meant about switching vowels for "Durmstrang".

I see. Thanks. Well, as I pronouced it "English", the allusion never occurred to
me...

But then I never associated the Sturm from Sturm und Drang with bad weather :-)
More like, genius, passion, creative powers: movement, revolution. As far as I
recall, this was a reaction to the Enlightenment and (what was felt as) too much
rationality...
(Never my favorite peroid btw, although we read a lot of Schiller in school.
Whose works never seemed very "dark" to me, and he is a famous "Sturm und Drang"
poet.)

> Yes, the names are East European, but the geography and climate seem very
> Northern.

Sibiria? And, according to a friend of mine who stayed there for a year, it does
get extremely cold in Moscow. And you get long nights in St. Petersburg..

Bettina
(feeling "enlightened")