Durmstrang

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Jul 24 06:22:22 EDT 2000

Last year, among my nine flatmates were two Swiss guys (and a Swede), who
spoke perfect English but did tend to say "wideo" for "video". As it was
practically the only way one would notice any accent we found it
disconcerting, and amusing. I think it does slip under the radar because it
sounds right, whereas a peculiar sound you have to learn is given attention.
(And yes, ten students in one flat was a recipe for choas. And as one
misguided soul liked the Spice Girls, a certain amount of conflict too.)
There was a cat. Not any of ours but one who kept leaping in through a
window 6 feet (2 metres, I think) off the ground. Its name was "that smelly
thing".
Jennifer

Whilst I think my English sounds quite allright, I know that the V ( I think
even more than the W) is a problem. I can do it consciously, but when I
don't
think about it, that sort of slips. You know, a lot of attention is paid to
getting TH and R right, but V and W, we don't seem to "hear" ist when it's
wrong. (I remember my british guest father going on and on making me say
"What's your favorite vegetable?", thinking the way I said it was so funny.
In
retrospect a bit rich from someone who coundn't speak *any*  foreign
languages...Which, btw seems to be true for the Hogwarts students, too.)

Bettina
(who also ignores the ortografi reform as much as she can)

PS: I loved the inscription on the organ in Terry Pratchetts "Carpe
Jugulum",
though. Like: "Come, Chiltren ov ze Darrk, Listen to ze musick ov de Night"