Mangled German (and Orthography reform)

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Sun Jul 23 11:42:49 EDT 2000

On 22 Jul, Jacob Proffitt wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 12:08:22 +0200 (CEST), Britta Koch wrote:
>
>>Another question for the people who know German on this list: have you
>>heard about the new orthography? They've made eszet (? or ß)
>>become ss after a short voewl, so that "da?" (daß) is now "dass",
>>and changed the writing together of certain words, even Enlish ones
>>(like "Come-back"!). Some people say it's too little of a reform, that
>>we should drop capitalization of nouns and use the English way, others
>>say that even that reform is too much (and I'm just happy to ignore it
>>as long as I can...)
>
> Why would the power that be want to Anglicize German?  That's just silly.
> Almost as silly as all the stupid Latinate rules imposed on English in the
> 19th Century.

Well, it's not really anglicizing German - just getting rid of the
capitalization of all nouns (and nouned verbs), and only capitalize at
the beginning of sentences and names (and maybe proper nouns, and
Important Things... I like that last one). It does make sense in a way,
since even most Germans can't remember it all (but then, spelling
errors seem to have multiplied in the last few years, regardless of the
increase of computer use with spellcheckers).

Britta

--
  /"\  . . . . . . . . . . . . . britta at linuxchix.org . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign     "Wer mit der Speckseite nach der Wurst wirft,