Mangled German

Fri Jul 21 15:47:12 EDT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:07:56 -0400 (EDT), lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu wrote:

>I sympathize, Britta, with your frustration over the mangling of German (I
>hate how American pop culture deals with Spanish, e.g., the infamous 'Yo
>quiero Taco Bell" ad campaign, which to the nit-picky (me) means something
>more like "I want the Taco Bell company" instead of "I want some(thing
>from) Taco Bell.)

I figured (yes I speak a little Spanish, enough to get thoroughly confused
when I try to come up with a German word) that it was meant in the sense my
family speaks about fast food:  "What do you want for dinner?"  "I want
McDonalds" or "I want Taco Bell."  But I think what they actually mean is
what you said....

Melissa Proffitt
Illiterate in three languages