Speaking names

Fri Jul 21 15:43:21 EDT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 21:17:11 +1000, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>Oh, he had a name.  We've had names picked out for all four of them before
>>they were born.  We just tend to call him "the boy".
>
>Did you tell people the names before the babies were born?

We did.  We felt obligated to inoculate our friends and family members
early.  :)

> I had a real
>phobia about telling people Xanthe's name before she was born, even though
>she was named very early on. I felt quite strongly that there was something
>not quite right about telling people her name, like it would give them
>something of her that she needed to keep control of - maybe I have taken
>Spellcoats and the other Dalemark books a bit to heart.

Oddly, I think I wanted to tell people their names prior to the birth so
there wouldn't be any...I don't know exactly, but maybe bad emanations? over
the newborn child.  I knew our families would go cross-eyed over some of our
choices--it was worst with Teleri, because she was our first, and because
two of Jacob's sisters were having children at the same time and had
selected the "normal" names Kylee and Hanna.  I think in my heart I wanted
people to be able to welcome the child without wincing over the name choice.

And this I can't believe: I was absolutely certain that after Teleri, Aerin
and Rhys, our family would heave great sighs of relief about Cordelia.  We
got MORE strange looks over that one than over any of the others INCLUDING
Teleri.  This time, from friends who should have known better ("Don't you
know that's the flaky weird chick in 'Buffy'?") as well as family members,
who got very stiff looks that said loudly "I think that's bizarre but I'm
going to refrain from commenting out of the love I bear you."

But I still felt reluctant every time I told people the names.

Melissa Proffitt