English & German

Karen M Frederickson frede005 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Jul 21 15:17:14 EDT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 lpuszcz at uoft02.utoledo.edu wrote:

(snip)

> Interestingly, I've found German to be a tough language to learn
> (comnpared to French and Spanish anyway), while the German student I
> stayed with last month said he felt English was very easy.  I know we have
> several non-native English speakers on the list; any reaction to that?

I knew a young Russian man  who had studied both German and English.  At
an elementary and intermediate level, he and his friends thought English
almost laughably easier than German, but when they got to an advanced
level, the opposite was true.  They decided it was because English is much
more flexible -- in word order, for instance.  In order to get the right
nuance you can choose among various word orders, and that is not an easy
thing to learn.

Karen