Speaking names

Jennifer Forsyth jforsyth at equinox.unr.edu
Fri Jul 21 14:05:13 EDT 2000

I refused to tell people (except when it slipped out once by accident with a
very close friend) Raphael's name until he was born. I didn't really have a
logical argument for not telling, just a little bit of superstition from having
a strong fantasy/fairy tale background, and also a feeling that since we were
telling people the sex, it would be fun to have a different surprise when he
was born. Oh, and we also didn't want anyone commenting, questioning, or
criticizing before it was a done deal. (You should have heard my mother on
"Solveig," which was our choice if we were having a girl.)

By the way, in response to Melissa (I think), people tend to give me flak for
Cymbeline being the king, not the princess, in the eponymous Shakespeare play,
purely since I *happen* to be editing it for the Internet Shakespeare Editions.
I find the name easier to deal with when I think of the king as the Latinate
"Cymbelinus," a variant of Raphael Holinshed's listing of the historical king.
It still doesn't explain why the play's not named after the heroine, Imogen,
but that would really be a rant...

Jennifer