Speaking names

Robyn Starkey robyns at corplink.com.au
Fri Jul 21 07:17:11 EDT 2000

>Oh, he had a name.  We've had names picked out for all four of them before
>they were born.  We just tend to call him "the boy".

Did you tell people the names before the babies were born? I had a real
phobia about telling people Xanthe's name before she was born, even though
she was named very early on. I felt quite strongly that there was something
not quite right about telling people her name, like it would give them
something of her that she needed to keep control of - maybe I have taken
Spellcoats and the other Dalemark books a bit to heart. It's okay now she's
here, though. Of course, now she does have a secret name that was spoken
once at her naming ceremony and will not be spoken again until her coming
of age.

Robyn