Santa Claws? (was: Cats)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 21 06:10:03 EDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 Philip.Belben at pgen.com wrote:

> Santa Claus has always struck me as a mixed-language name.
> Does anyone know if there is any language in which both halves of
> the name are natural forms of the words ("Saint" and "Nicholas" in
> case you hadn't twigged)?

Vague memories from primary school, when I was in the same class as a
boy of Dutch descent whose family did a cultural display thingy for
their children's classes each December, tell me that in the
Netherlands they're visited by Sinter Klass.

And with that in mind, I recall reading something along the following
lines: Dutch settlers in America, bringing tradition of Sinter Klass;
other people can't pronounce it so good, and over the years it become
Santa Claus.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."