Bone-fires in Witch Week

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 21 00:40:13 EDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 HSchinske at aol.com wrote:

> As far as we could figure out, "bone-fire" is an obsolete spelling,
> not normal UK usage. Now, did DWJ do this on purpose,

I think so.

> and if so,
> why didn't they keep it in the US edition?

Because US editors seem to think that American readers are stupid.
Yes, they really think that.

> I also suggested that "bone-fire" may have been a typo of DWJ's (I've read
> that she is a terrible speller, from dyslexia or whatever), taken too
> seriously by the UK publisher, since she doesn't ever explain the term as
> being any different from "bonfire."

If that were so, her UK editors would have caught it. For one thing,
the pronunciation is different. I think she did do it on purpose:
"bonfire" could also mean a fire made to celebrate something, and a
"bone-fire" is, in the book, the *specific* fire to burn witches.

   Irina