Cats

Thu Jul 20 22:17:41 EDT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 02:23:37 +0100, Ven wrote:

>I once wanted to find a black she cat, which I
>was going to call Bathsheba. In the summer before I'd started
>looking I saw a litter of kittens which included a little black one.
>And he was a Manx (tailless) and I fell in love with him. So when
>we got him home we thought of every black cat name we could.
>None of them suited , Bathsheba did. What did he care?

One of our cats is named Cymbeline--this was while I was reading Shakespeare
but before I actually read that play, and I figured Cymbeline had to be a
girl's name.  So she's Cymbi for short.  (Our other cat is named after a
character from David Eddings; as a kitten she liked to hide and pounce on
people like a little assassin, and Jacob said "We have to call her Silk" and
I said "Technically she should be Velvet" and thus it was.)

I also once named five kittens after characters from "Cats" but it didn't go
over well with my family, who thought Rumpelteazer et. al. were stupid names
for cats.  These are the people who named one of our dogs Princess.  Can't
remember what the other was called, it's been one of those days, but it was
something similar.  Humph.  Try to introduce a little culture into some
people's lives....

And speaking of names, one of the great things (I think) about writing your
own stories is getting to pick the perfect names for your characters.  You
know how in real life there are people named, I don't know, Edwina, who
ought really to be a Joan or a Marietta or something?  Writing fiction is a
way of rectifying that wrong.  Naming children is the opposite; you have to
name them before they have a personality and sometimes you just guess wrong.
But it's better than calling the child "it" for a couple of years.  Oh,
wait, we called our son "the boy" for a long time even though he *did* have
a name.  Hope it doesn't warp him in the long run.

Melissa Proffitt