Cats

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 21:23:37 EDT 2000

Date sent:      	Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:45:27 -0400
Thanks to everyone who worte in with Cat names

Tanaqui wrote
> Kish, a Sumerian city (black and white)
>
> Interesting choice of vowel...
>
> + Cirocco, Pushkin's tortie and white daughter,
>
> and consonant. Ah, a character reference.

I'm sorry you lost me here.

> + Then there was Halo, a rather strange rescue cat, his surname
was Jones too
> + from the Judge Dread character. He preferred MR H.

> > Judge Dredd. And wasn't Halo female? >

Dredd, yes of course, and Halo Jones was female and Halo the cat
wasn't. I forgot the other name connection here in fact, Halo was
another John Varley  character, from a short story or two. If I
remember rightly s/he changed sex partway through.
I don't think cats worry very much about the gender conventions of
names anyway :-) I once wanted to find a black she cat, which I
was going to call Bathsheba. In the summer before I'd started
looking I saw a litter of kittens which included a little black one.
And he was a Manx (tailless) and I fell in love with him. So when
we got him home we thought of every black cat name we could.
None of them suited , Bathsheba did. What did he care? We
mostly called him Bad Cat anyway (In the sense in which Bad
means Wicked of course!). The lack of a tail never bothered him,
he actually had a tiny stump which he wagged when he was
happy.  The other thing about Bathie was that he grew at a
ridiculous rate. We instigated weighing sessions as he was a bit
young when we got him (circumstances beyond our control). At
one point he was gaining 1/2 lb a week (440g I think) and at six
months weighed as much as many grown cats. And at that point
he was the most peculiar looking creature, all lumps and bumps,
not like a real cat at all. Well, he grew and grew and eventually all
the lumpiness turned out to be muscles and he was a huge and
handsome beast. I don't know whether this is characteristic of
Manxes or if it was just Bathsheba.
                                           Ven.