Wined vs Winned

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Thu Jul 20 14:04:04 EDT 2000

On my third attempt, perhaps I'll get these two messages actually to reach the
list.  Aagh!

**************

Tanaqui, having stated that she didn't understand my question, has answered it
far more lucidly than her previous attempts.

I only have minor quibbles left...

>+ What, of the meanings one associates with the tetragrammaton "wind", is the
>+ one Donne is using here?
>
> As many of them as he possibly can: that'd be Donne.

So don't assert so confidently that it's not that which blows!

>+ Not that I think Donne necessarily needs that justification.  But Tanaqui
>+ does, to be able to assert that it is "definitely" a device.
>
> Nah; Donne's definitely dead, and won't be able to dismiss my interpretation
> until the angels have complied with his demands in the _Sermons_ and
> re-assembled his physical form from its scattered particles.

:-) It's not on Donne's behalf that I require justification of you, believe me!

>+ That is closer, I must admit - a metaphor.  Translate it as "by what twist
>+ might an honest mind be advanced" and I begin to understand you.
>
> And a "twist" isn't a "wined"-device?

It is indeed - that's what I am getting at.  Paul's metaphor, that I rephrased,
is the first thing anyone has said that sheds any light on the association of
"wind" and "device" other than as a pulley.

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)24 76 424000