Bone-fires in Witch Week

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Thu Jul 20 11:26:10 EDT 2000

I'm quite new to the list, so forgive me if this has been discussed recently,
but over on rec.arts.books.children, we were talking about the changes made
to _Witch Week_ for the US market, and one that was mentioned was the change
of "bone-fire" (yes, with a hyphen, and throughout the text) to "bonfire." As
far as we could figure out, "bone-fire" is an obsolete spelling, not normal
UK usage. Now, did DWJ do this on purpose, and if so, why didn't they keep it
in the US edition?

I also suggested that "bone-fire" may have been a typo of DWJ's (I've read
that she is a terrible speller, from dyslexia or whatever), taken too
seriously by the UK publisher, since she doesn't ever explain the term as
being any different from "bonfire."

What d'you all think?

Helen Schinske
HSchinske at aol.com