Cats

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 20 10:51:48 EDT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Sally Odgers wrote:

> "the crew were"

Isn't that correct? I always thought that "crew" was a collective
noun that could take a plural verb when the context called for it.
That is, when not the crew as a whole is meant ("the crew was flown
to London") but as a group of people ("the crew were packing their
belongings").

> I've got to hand it to you, Irena and a few others - you speak better
> English than I do.

Thanks - but it's "Irina" and I'm rather particular about that. :-)

   Irina