Cats

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 20 00:37:54 EDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Ven wrote:

> This reminds me I've seen the great pics of Melissa and Jacob's kids
> too now. When everyone was discussing literary baby names I thought
> we might talk cat names too.

Our most literary cat was McCavity. Not only was he named after the
protagonist of a poem by the famous T.S. Eliot, he starred in his own
picture book. When I was in first grade, the students at the upper
end of primary school had a project where they each interviewed a
first grader and then made a picture book full of all the things their
interviewee liked. So I've got a little picture book somewhere all
about the adventures of Paul and his green cat, McCavity, who was
obsessed with apples.

McCavity himself, alas, did a disappearing act that would have turned
his namesake green with envy many years ago.
Our current cat is called Blitzen (which means Lightning) because we
found him when he was a tiny kitten outside our house during a major
storm. He is now much larger and, in contrast to McCavity, we can't
get rid of him. :)
Although his *name* is Blitzen, he's generally just called Puss or,
more often, Getoutofthatyoumangyhairball.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."