Philosophical Ramblings, Escapism

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Wed Jul 19 18:36:00 EDT 2000

Well, I think we're all agreed that escapism is a very fine thing but I
find getting involved in this thread a little difficult. Its easy to say
one is clean living but to admit the other causes certain difficulties!
So I'll just say that I love getting off my head but I don't let anything
get in the way of my reading................

Mind you I can get holier than anyone when it comes to tea (don't
like it , pah!), coffee (gives me migraines but smells divine) and
alcohol (I have the medical symptom  "aversion to alcohol" so the
more ill I'm feeeling the less I want to drink). And I don't touch the
bad addictive stuff either -- except for tobacco (sigh).

I often say reading was my first addiction (in my delurking post
probably). It might not be a literal addiction but I truly think I could
not give it up, faced with the choice books or chocolate, or tobacco
or my house even I'd choose the books. I guess the cats and other
loved ones come out ahead however -- just. Also I have to confess,
when I find a book I really want, especially one I wasn't expecting I
get a sort of thrill in the pit of my stomach........... The idea of the
Desert Island Discs choice -- one book apart from the Bible and
Shakespeare is appalling. This topic does inspire ramblings, back
to the point, I've added various other obsessions and habits over
the years -- do you realise some cacti are nearly as exciting as
books --  and I like to combine them. So you'll find me reading in
the garden, next to the cacti in their greenhouse, maybe eating
something nice, certainly having a good smoke, cats not far away.
Has anyone else ever been in trouble for reading during foreplay?
No? well  we did divorce...........  At any rate I don't think reading
does exclude the ingesting of noxious and naughty substances.
Most people I know do at least a bit of both.

So, having established some credentials here comes my wisdom
on drugs -- they don't offer an escape from reality. What happens,
what one feels in altered states of consciousness, is just as real
as anything else. This is reality nor are we out of it. (Misquoting
Marlowe's Faust). As for books, however imaginary the world, I find
I need some connection to what is real and true, if only in the
emotional sense. Of course this does all rather depend on what we
mean by real but my brain is starting to hurt so this is enough for
now.
                                           Ven.