Philosophical Rambling: Escapism

Tarja Rainio vierran at saunalahti.fi
Wed Jul 19 16:24:07 EDT 2000

on 17.7.2000 18:35, Britta Koch at bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de wrote:

> So,as an afterthought (and forgive my nosy questions ;): do any of you
> smoke? Or regularly take part in alcoholic excesses? Or did you at any
> point in your life, and did you read much?

I don't smoke (never have) or do drugs (have tried cannabis once, but only a
few breaths, so it didn't affect me), but I do drink occasionally (also
sometimes too much). I don't read at the same time I am drinking since
alcohol dulls the brain too much to be able to concentrate properly.
However, a few glasses of wine or a few bottles of beer after work while
reading a good book curled in a comfortable chair is to me an acceptable
scenario =).

I do think books can sometimes be very addictive or fill a need at certain
stages in life.

Best,
Tarja