Philosophical Rambling: Escapism

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 19 10:36:32 EDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> How much TV do the rest of you watch?

Practically none; we've had a set since February but it's only been
on to watch an actual programme about half a dozen times, and about
four times as often to watch a video. It's behind a chair and we have
to explicitly put it on a low table and move some furniture around in
order to watch, which makes it a procedure and not a matter of course
like putting on a CD. The room just isn't arranged around it, the way
most living rooms are, and there's no place where it wouldn't either
be in the way or impossible to watch for half the people in the room.

This is not a matter of principle; we just don't find much worth
watching, and we'd rather read a book (even the kids most of the
time, though they like the Disney films we've been watching on
Sundays) or use the computer.

   Irina