Marvell, Herrick, Donne, Milton: LONG

Wed Jul 19 01:13:55 EDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:34:49 -0400, bill-sarah at mindspring.com wrote:
>An interesting tidbit: Milton was blind.  He dictated everything to his three daughters.  What changes or influences they made/were are unknown.

I just had this idea...you have this renowned poet, considered one of the
greatest, but the TRUTH is that his daughters took advantage of his
blindness to write their own poetry under his name.  It never occurred to me
before that the Milton girls might have done anything but take dictation.
Quite an impressive conspiracy.  Too bad the quality of his work doesn't
directly correlate with the onset of his affliction or we'd have more
evidence....

>If anyone's actually made it this far, well, I'm impressed.  Thinking about it now, I've come to the conclusion that I didn't write this so that people could read it so much as I did so that I could stop feeling guilty.

I am frequently motivated by that same feeling.  Guilt is a lovely thing
sometimes.

Melissa Proffitt