misc

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 19 00:39:26 EDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, jessie wrote:

> This baffles me, actually.  ToTC is one of her books that i like a
> great deal. Now admittedly it's also the first one I read, but I
> think there's more to it than that -- the thing that makes me like
> ToTC so much is the depth of invention and worldbuilding in it.
> Time ghosts, the tension between history and superstitions,
> architecture...  not to mention the Sempitern.  I like the
> Sempitern.  (:  For me there is a great richness to ToTC, but I seem
> to be thoroughly in the minority concerning it.  Could you tell me
> why you don't like it as much?

For me, I quite like ToTC, but it just has moments here and there that
rub me the wrong way. Leonardo da Vinci being a stranded time
traveller, for instance, although it's nice that that's only a
speculation and not undeniable truth.

> Paul Andinach writes:
>
> > Knowledge is Power.
> > Power and Energy are equivalent.
> > e=mc^2, so Energy = lots of Mass.
> > Large amounts of in one place deform space.
> >
> > Any good library is basically a genteel black hole that knows how
> > to read.
>
> <laugh>
>
> <pedant = on>
>
> but now I'm going to be a dumb nitpicking physicist and tell you
> that Power and Energy are *not* equivalent.  Power is energy over
> time.

It was a quote, so it's not my fault. :)

Does this mean that the equivalence is more true of old bookshops and
libraries? I've noticed time does some strange things in places like
that.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."