Philosophical Rambling: Escapism

bill-sarah at mindspring.com bill-sarah at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 18 20:38:50 EDT 2000

On the whole books as a drug issue:  books might not be physically
addictive, but neither is one of the other things commonly compared to a
drug: religion.  (I hope, at least, that it's not physically addictive).
Lots of people, Marx most notably, have suggested similarites between
religion and drugs.  I don't believe that most people who are religious are
using their faith like a drug, but I do think that in some cases people do.
I've got an uncle, for example, who was an alcoholic for a while, and ended
up giving it up and becoming a Jew for Jesus.  From what I see, religion for
him now fills most of the needs that booze used to fill.    It fills his
emptinesses, helps him escape, and keeps him safe.  These days, religion is
his drug of choice.  He might not agree with me, but he thinks that fantasy
and magic are evil, so he won't know.

Lizzie