Excesses

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Jul 18 14:03:48 EDT 2000

>I once had a tedious paramour who insisted that I should not read, but
>instead listen to him discourse on SALT-II*, which he was Studying by
>listening to radio news reports. After a few days I was zombily picking up
>album covers to read, sticking to the text on scouring powder canisters, and
>so on.

:-)  This tedious paramour (love that description!) will have to be added
to the Awful Boyfriend collection.  Can't you just imagine Seb doing
something like that?  Not on SALT-II, but...

>I think that more of the reaction was due to his discourse than due
>to reading-deprivation, but I do find reading a pretty necessary experience.

Me too.  Even though there are days when I can only (pleasure) read for ten
minutes or so in bed, I get _very_ jittery if that's threatened.

Hallie.