eye function

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Tue Jul 18 13:30:30 EDT 2000

>> Someone whose message I accidentally deleted thought that lens (cornea?)
>> surgery would be a better solution.  I wouldn't have thought that was an
>> option at Jonathan's age, since eyes are still changing an awful lot at
>> that time.  Might be something to do later (age 20 or more), although if
>> everyone wears a belt all the time, why bother?
>
> t'was me, Philip... and I thought it made sense because my sister had
> eye-surgery at 8 years old. Before that, she wore heavy glasses, after that,
> none.... until she hit 40, anyway. She was/is short-sighted and also had
> severe astigmatism, so maybe the operation was simply to correct the latter.
> I don't really remember, since I was only 4 at the time. I would have
> thought she'd still have needed glasses for the short-sightedness though if
> it hadn't been fixed.
>
> Must ask her some time - though she probably doesn't remember either.

That sounds like the surgery did correct the short sight.  Possibly I am
thinking of a different sort of surgery, because I did't think shaving bits off
corneas was available in the 1960s.  I'm probably wrong again...

On the other hand, my eyes went on changing into my 20s.  I am now 33, and they
have almost settled down...

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.