misc

jessie shelton at alumni.princeton.edu
Tue Jul 18 12:25:59 EDT 2000


Hello again world!  Another very miscellaneous email; replies to
Astrid/Luke stuff coming separately.


Jennifer Rowland writes:

> A book I ordered finally got here today- Diane Duane's The Door Into
> Fire- I found the 3rd book of the trilogy ages ago and have since been
> frantically trying to find the others. I opened the parcel and all I
> can say is it's a good thing I already know it's going to be good. The
> cover is a man in armour holding a glowing sword above his head with a
> naked woman draped at his feet, and all the blurb conforms to that.
> Bleuurgh. I may have to make it a jacket.

<snerf> oh my.  My copy has a fairly dumb looking man on a fairly stolid
looking horse, but it's nothing that bad.  That sounds like one of the
Star Wars posters.  *Who* is the naked woman?  It would be much more
appropriate to have a naked man...

I very much like this series.  Did you know that she has finally finished
Door into Starlight, and it's coming out next summer from Meisha Merlin?  
Excitement runs rampant.  To be absolutely honest I'm a little nervous
about it, since her series tend to go downhill rather than uphill, and
after Door into Sunset it's a little difficult for me to imagine where
she's going with the story; but she has spent a lot of time and care on
it, so I'm hopeful.

I have a copy of Door into Shadow (#2) going begging.  Would you like it?



JOdel writes:

> Tale of Time City is the most obvious exception to this, and is one of
> her least sucessful, I think. Although that could also be due to the
> fact that this book seems to also be an experiment in attempting to
> tell the story in a non-linear form, which didn't quite gel properly.
> (To me, Hexwood almost reads like a rewrite of this experiment with
> much better results.)

This baffles me, actually.  ToTC is one of her books that i like a great
deal. Now admittedly it's also the first one I read, but I think there's
more to it than that -- the thing that makes me like ToTC so much is the
depth of invention and worldbuilding in it.  Time ghosts, the tension
between history and superstitions, architecture...  not to mention the
Sempitern.  I like the Sempitern.  (:  For me there is a great richness to
ToTC, but I seem to be thoroughly in the minority concerning it.  Could
you tell me why you don't like it as much?

Hexwood is another one of my favorites, but it doesn't feel very similar
to ToTC in my head.  I think it's because the universe of Hexwood feels
more like that of Deep Secret in some ways.

BTW, ToTC does involve an adult (Elio) intimately in the action; also, it
strikes me as very DWJish that Jenny and Ranjit are shown by the end of
the novel to be fully aware that Vivian Smith isn't Vivian Lee, and don't
care one whit.


Tanaqui writes:

> Libraries are not places of danger? (_Hexwood_)

<grin>


Paul Andinach writes:

> Knowledge is Power.
> Power and Energy are equivalent.
> e=mc^2, so Energy = lots of Mass.
> Large amounts of in one place deform space.
>
> Any good library is basically a genteel black hole that knows how to
> read.

<laugh>

<pedant = on>

but now I'm going to be a dumb nitpicking physicist and tell you that
Power and Energy are *not* equivalent.  Power is energy over time.  
So...um...a library is an elderly black hole that knows how to read?

not quite the same, is it.  sigh.

Now I would have let you get away with saying things like, "momentum is
energy is mass is inverse time", or "time is distance", etc.  The only two
really meaningful units are time and inverse time.  Don't you love
fundamental units?  I swear it all makes sense.

</pedant>



Hallie writes:

> But then, I've said on the list that I think Hexwood contains probably
> the most evil behaviour of any character in any DWJ book.  Which
> rather pokes holes in my argument, doesn't it?

ooh, yes, Reigner One is a *nasty* piece of work.

It has always struck me that Hexwood is aimed at a slightly older
audience, partly because its protagonists are older and in love, partly
because of how Ann and Mordion react to Hume at various ages (frex, they
think of him as very young at 10; contrast to, for example, the portrayal
of Johnny or Gwinny in TOD, or Kathy in Dogsbody).  Not to mention the
sexual touch concerning Vierran's orders to breed with the Servant.

But to go back to your argument (about sexual explicitness and
age-targeting), I still think you have the right end of the stick; it's my
experience that kids, especially bright kids, can handle the idea of evil
quite well when sexual stuff is still a mystery to them.


Britta writes:

> I guess this is quite an obvious question, but who would you put in a
> personal ad like that one (apart from thinking them delectable;) ?

Gair (Power of Three), Mordion (Hexwood). 
Faramir (lord of the rings), Maedhros (Silmarillion).
Justin and Grant (Cyteen), though they'd have to be straight.


jessie

--
To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at suberic.net with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at http://suberic.net/dwj/list/



More information about the Dwj mailing list