Go and catch a falling star

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Tue Jul 18 05:33:49 EDT 2000

I suspect Donne meant all of these! Or at least had more than one thing in
mind when he wrote it. His poems were thought of at the time as very
scholarly and difficult, twisty and full of complicated conceits, weren't
they? I know that all the interpretations people have suggested have made
sense to me as I've read them (never having thought about it much myself).
Jennifer

> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:08:17 +0800 (WST)
>  From: Paul Andinach <pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au>
>  Subject: Re: Identity/personality
<snip>

>  In this sense, "And find what wind serves to advance an honest mind"
>  would mean "and discover a method by which an honest mind can be
>  found".
>
>  Which fits at least as nicely as any other explanation I've heard.
>

>  (Personally, though, I still think it's wind as in "a wind in the
>  road" or as in "you'll wind up in prison if you don't watch out".)
>
>  > Wind pronounced Wined, but still meaning that which blows, was a
>  > common _literary_ device, up until ? the early 17th century, (when
>  > pronunciation was still fairly in flux) and again in the 19th
>  > century (romantic movement and nostalgia for an earlier age).
>
>  Okay, then; but even given that, why should meteorological phenomena
>  have anything to do with the case?

I thought it was about "what wind is going to blow your boat in the
right
direction?" Surely ships "advance" under sail? In other words, how can
good
guys manage to get ahead in life?

Helen Schinske
HSchinske at aol.com