Wined vs Winned

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Tue Jul 18 05:32:22 EDT 2000

Philip:

+ What, of the meanings one associates with the tetragrammaton "wind", is the
+ one Donne is using here?

As many of them as he possibly can: that'd be Donne.

+ Not that I think Donne necessarily needs that justification.  But Tanaqui
+ does, to be able to assert that it is "definitely" a device.

Nah; Donne's definitely dead, and won't be able to dismiss my interpretation
until the angels have complied with his demands in the _Sermons_ and
re-assembled his physical form from its scattered particles.

+ That is closer, I must admit - a metaphor.  Translate it as "by what twist
+ might an honest mind be advanced" and I begin to understand you.

And a "twist" isn't a "wined"-device?

Tanaqui