Reading to excess

Wholergo at aol.com Wholergo at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 15:05:37 EDT 2000

Britta asks

> >So,as an afterthought (and forgive my nosy questions ;): do any of you
>  >smoke? Or regularly take part in alcoholic excesses? Or did you at any
>  >point in your life, and did you read much?

Not to get too personal... But I think reading can be done in excess, and to
avoid reality.  The chemical excesses are common in my family, and several of
us read madly, at times constantly.  Usually not while drinking - can't
remember enough.  My sister marks the end of her depressive phases by when
she starts reading less.  I started reading DWJ just when I stopped drinking
daily -- now my fantasy/children's book reading time exceeds what I once
spent in a stupor!  It's without question healthier, but I still miss the
sleep.

As for Harry Potter saving us from other excesses:  My seven-year-old read
Goblet from the moment it arrived (9:30 am 7/8) until he finished it at
dinner time, carrying it to a karate school picnic, on the train, around the
house.  He thinks reading should get him off of chores, bedtime etc.  But we
know better.
Robin Gillespie