Philosophical Rambling: Escapism

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Mon Jul 17 12:03:47 EDT 2000

>So,as an afterthought (and forgive my nosy questions ;): do any of you
>smoke? Or regularly take part in alcoholic excesses? Or did you at any
>point in your life, and did you read much?

Hi, Britta; Sallyo here. And you're right in my case. I don't smoke and
never have done. I have never taken illegal drugs and not many legal ones
either. I drink an average of one glass of wine a week and that is the most
I have ever drunk.  And yes, I have always credited my reading and writing
habits with removing the temptation to kick over the traces. I even believe
that writers are usually non-violent because they can sublimate their
homicidal desires in words!   However - (and this is a big one) - alcoholism
and depression are disproportionately common in writers. I suspect these
ills surface in the writers who need recognition rather than the
satisfaction of creation. I'm a great believer in self-reward, because it's
often the only kind on offer.

Sallyo.
http://members.xoom.com/Sallyo/aus.html