"It's written that way"

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jul 16 21:19:28 EDT 2000

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Britta Koch wrote:

> I first though about it when reading "Homo Faber" by Max Frisch at
> school - it's a novel that plays with whether there's fate or not -
> and I decided that I don't belive in fate, but that of course in
> this book you had to - it was written that way. Since then, I've
> been thinking about that a little - that you can have fate in books,
> and so on.

I always laugh when characters in stories discuss fate and
predestination - especially when they conclude that there isn't any.
Because, of course, everything they do is predestined.

(Similarly, one of the things that interests me in the Cadfael novels
is the reflection that Brother Cadfael really does have a benevolent
Creator he can rely on in times of crisis.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."