Identity/personality

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jul 16 12:08:17 EDT 2000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 Philip.Belben at pgen.com wrote:

> > > (ObOnTopic: I think one of the words in the poem was
> > > mispronounced when the curse was set; not that I'm complaining,
> > > it's just interesting.)
> >
> > It's definitely the sort of "wind" pronounced "wined" and a
> > device, rather than wind. But making the "winned" sort of wind a
> > device is *so* DWJ!

> Why is it a device (I take it you mean "some sort of pulley" like
> Michael)?  Or rather, why is it "definitely" a device?

"Device" can also mean "a plan, scheme, or trick", according to my
OED. See also "leave one to one's own devices".

In this sense, "And find what wind serves to advance an honest mind"
would mean "and discover a method by which an honest mind can be
found".

Which fits at least as nicely as any other explanation I've heard.

(Personally, though, I still think it's wind as in "a wind in the
road" or as in "you'll wind up in prison if you don't watch out".)

> Wind pronounced Wined, but still meaning that which blows, was a
> common _literary_ device, up until ? the early 17th century, (when
> pronunciation was still fairly in flux) and again in the 19th
> century (romantic movement and nostalgia for an earlier age).

Okay, then; but even given that, why should meteorological phenomena
have anything to do with the case?

> (I liked the way Howl's nephew (Neil?) made the connection, through
> "finned", with submarines.  I'm not sure why Sophie and Michael
> accepted it so readily, though)

Obviously, submarines exist in Ingary. Duh. ;)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."