Feeling got at was racism in Harry Potter

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 20:08:17 EDT 2000

> Mary Ann said
> + I have to say, though, that racism of preceisely this type is absolutely in
> + the British school story tradition.
and Tanaqui replied
> Yes, it is in the tradition. We were recently regaled with how
much books
> for children changed in the 70s - I thought we were past that sort of lazy
> rabble-rousing. I wouldn't want Bunter changed (upgraded?), and my argument
> for keeping racist Doolittle unchanged as well is that it is part of our rich
> socio-literary heritage - absolute ineffable literary merit or no.

Lazy rabble rousing eh? Am I being touchy or do you mean me? In
my recent post on this subject I was merely passing on my 20
year old impressions of the modernity of the early Dwj to contrast
with JOdel's entirely correct contemporary perspective. I found the
contrast amusing, I like the way the meeting of minds on this list
illuminates one's own thinking, past and present.

Sorry if I gave the impression I still think exactly the way I did
twenty years ago, I am, naturally past all that now. However  I think
the revisionism of the 70s had its place in the stew of culture,
though it could be ham fisted (oops accidental punning in my
mixed metaphor). And by the way, I couldn't care less what
happens to Billy Bunter books. I never liked them at all.
                                           Ven.