dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #187

Ven ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 16:52:57 EDT 2000

Elise asked about my tag line:

> You are trapped in that bright moment where you learned your doom.

Its from Samuel R  Delany's Fall of the Towers trilogy. Its what a
poet called Vol Nonik writes on walls after his world has fallen
apart. I read this book at around fourteen and it had a great impact
on me and a couple of my friends. So much so that we wrote the
tag  on the artroom wall above the door -- with the permission of Mr
Voller our very nice and rather freethinking art teacher. The
inevitable result was that everyone graffiteed the walls and there
was trouble. After repainting it was all gone except ours because
we'd mixed glue with the black paint and put it on very thick
..............Its this historical association that persuaded me to
choose it as my first tag line.

Delany now  regards FOT as juvenilia (he was 21 when the last
volume was published and starting to anguish 	about not being a
child prodigy anymore!). However he says he has heard from quite
a few readers that this was a marvellous and even life changing
read at 14. I thoroughly agree and would recomend it or any other
Delany published 1968 or earlier for that agegroup and, of course
older!  The later books are very much adult reading
however................ seriously.
                                           Ven.