Identity/personality

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Thu Jul 13 13:11:18 EDT 2000

>+ > "Go and catch a falling star" as the spell!
>
>+ For me, it was the other way around - I discovered Donne by reading
>+ HMC.
>+
>+ (ObOnTopic: I think one of the words in the poem was mispronounced
>+ when the curse was set; not that I'm complaining, it's just
>+ interesting.)
>
> It's definitely the sort of "wind" pronounced "wined" and a device,
> rather than wind. But making the "winned" sort of wind a device is *so* DWJ!

Perhaps I ought to go and read the whole poem before jumping in, but:

Why is it a device (I take it you mean "some sort of pulley" like Michael)?  Or
rather, why is it "definitely" a device?

Wind pronounced Wined, but still meaning that which blows, was a common
_literary_ device, up until ? the early 17th century, (when pronunciation was
still fairly in flux) and again in the 19th century (romantic movement and
nostalgia for an earlier age).

Anyway, could you venture a few lines of explanation, please?

Philip.

(I liked the way Howl's nephew (Neil?) made the connection, through "finned",
with submarines.  I'm not sure why Sophie and Michael accepted it so readily,
though)

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)24 76 424000