Racism in Harry Potter IV

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Thu Jul 13 05:57:24 EDT 2000

Mary Ann:

+ I have to say, though, that racism of preceisely this type is absolutely in
+ the British school story tradition.

Yes, it is in the tradition. We were recently regaled with how much books
for children changed in the 70s - I thought we were past that sort of lazy
rabble-rousing. I wouldn't want Bunter changed (upgraded?), and my argument
for keeping racist Doolittle unchanged as well is that it is part of our rich
socio-literary heritage - absolute ineffable literary merit or no.

I happen to doubt the existence of the ineffable style.

"snobbism"? I'd swear Orwell doesn't use that word. I like the revelation
from his letters: oh, no, I was wrong about the author being a group, what
other hypotheses will fall? The terror of the critic.

In Rowling, there is evidence of a progression beyond the clean-limbed English
paragon, although since the English aren't in the match we are forced to support
our close neighbours the Irish.

+ (I haven't had the pleasure of reading The Goblet of Fire yet, and likely
+ won't for a year or so. I'm mean, and read Rowlings out of the library.)

What you need is a nephew |-)

Tanaqui