Grades in Hebrew & Hebrew in DWJ

EstairM at aol.com EstairM at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 19:21:53 EDT 2000

Sallyo wrote:
>      Ah, I think I see. We do the same thing, really, counting 1 - 9 and =
>  then having 10 which is 1 and 0. 11 is 1 and 1, 12 is 1 and 2.  So we =
>  could express out numbers like this-
>
>      one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, one-and-zero, =
>  one-and-one, one-and-two, one-and-three etc... only I suppose that makes =
>  20 "two-and-zero" which doesn't fit Gili's series.
>
>      Darn.

Well, it's like this--aleph is one, bet is two....yud is 10.  So, the grades
are aleph, bet , gimmel, daled, he, vav, zayin, het, tet, yud, yud-aleph,
yud-bet.
(I live in Israel, too, but was born, bred and educated in the USofA.)  In
the fall I have kids starting pre-pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, kita
(grade) bet, daled, he, and vav.  And a baby who stays home with me ;-)

Gili, what about some professional translating discussion about Hebrew in
DWJ?  After all, Adon in the Dalemark books is an appropriately-used Hebrew
word meaning lord, or maybe master is better?  Gili, help!   Adoni is sir in
Israel, anyway.

And I haven't read any of the books with magids in them, but magid is Hebrew,
too.  Meaning preacher or thereabouts.

Glad to have finally brought this up.  Felt so left out when Welsh was under
discussion.  ;-)
Esther